Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm a MonStER!

Last night during our Brahms Requiem dress rehearsal, Br. Kempton ended up standing next to me. Br. Kempton was my vocal teacher my very first semester I had vocal lessons, so it's been a while since he has heard me sing. He also conducts the collegiate choir which Emily sings in. After reading off some notes he took during our first run through he announces that he is going to stand in between the tenors and the basses so he can sing whichever part he wants. He walked up the bleachers and stood right next to me. Crap. I don't know the requiem as well as I should so I was pretty sure Br. Kempton was going to be pretty disgusted with me missing notes and entrances. I sang most of it OK, but then I really biffed a short run about 20 measures from the end. Br. Kempton even leaned over and pointed down to indicate I was singing waaay too high. Yeah, whoops. It was late and I was tired. Well, afterward Br. Kempton turned around and started giving directions about tonight for call time and what not, then he turned and looked at me and slapped me on the arm with his score. "You're a monster!" he said. "I love singing next to you!" What? Br. Kempton enjoys singing next to me? He said that he would lean over when he needed a note and would listen to me sing so he could get back on. Woah. I was pretty surprised.

So moral of the story is that Emily is gorgeous and sings beautifully, and I'm a monster.

7 comments:

Ginger said...

yay for monsters.

Carla said...

Beauty and the Beast comes to mind!

I love hearing you sing. sigh I miss the music in our home.

Annie said...

Hugh, please tell me you'll sing for me when you come down to Utah. Maybe Tuck will sing a duet with you...? Well, maybe...!

Call Me Tucker said...

Mom.... Mom. no. you have to stop. no.

Twenty Somethin' said...

And by that Anne, Emily means we'd love too!

Annie said...

That cinches it...you're pretty much my fav Hugh!

Amy said...

OOO... mom, I'm gonna tell Spencer you said that and you're going to be in BIG trouble. Oh, and can I be the accompanist? I'd hate for Tuck and Hugh to get ALL the attention. :)